16 oz free-range ground turkey (I opted for 85/15 for more flavor than my usual 98% fat-free)
1 finely chopped leek
3 T. fresh chopped parsley
1 t. dried italian seasoning
1/2 t. sea-salt
1/4 t. fresh cracked pepper
1/4 t. minced garlic
1/8 t. garlic powder
1 beaten egg
1 c. shaved cauliflower (raw, do not cook as it will change the consistency and this is what HOLDS the meatball together without the traditional use of breadcrumbs)
32 oz. organic tomato sauce ( I used basil I like the subtle flavor)-
1. Warm crockpot on low.
2. Place 1/4 of tomato sauce in bottom of crockpot, covering entire base.
3. Next, in small mixing bowl use hands to mix the following ingredients: ground turkey, leek, parsley, italian seasoning, garlic, garlic powder, cauliflower, egg, sea salt and pepper. Mix until all is blended well
4. Next, cut 2 slices of medium sized wax paper.
5. Scoop 2-3 T. of turkey mixture onto wax paper in middle, form a twist with the excess wax paper, this helps to create the meatball shape (see photo above). Drop meatball into crockpot, do this until 1/2 of meatballs have been formed.
6. Add 1/2 remaining tomato sauce.
7. Repeat step 5 (finishing remaining turkey meatballs)
8. Top with remaining 1/4 tomato sauce
9. Cook in crockpot on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 2-4 hours.
10. Serve with IP friendly pasta packet or I do zucchini “pasta”. Yum!
Let me know how you like this, and what changes you made, if any for a tastier recipe!